The moment to get yourself a proper lawnmower has finally arrived – and left you completely confused because you have no idea which one suits your needs best.
Whether you are a complete beginner or simply want to check all the options, we’re here with a list of 7 types of lawnmowers and the basic information you should know before making the final decision.
So, what are the basic types of lawnmowers?
Table of Contents
1. Gas-powered Mowers
Gas-powered mowers showed up in the 20th century, but not everyone was thrilled with the new invention. Many people preferred manual reel mowers which are still popular today.
Still, if you compare these two, you’ll see that manual reel mowers require much more physical effort to do the work.
On the other hand, gas-powered mowers cut lawn with more ease, especially when it comes to tougher grass.
You don’t have a cord that will limit its mobility, and, unlike electric mowers, you can cut larger lawns without having to charge a battery every now and then.
|Pro||More durable than electric|
Only need a little bit of gas to go a long way across your lawn
Can easily cut through tough grass
|Con||Cost more than a manual reel mower||
Much louder and heavier than electric models
Not good for the environment because of the carbon monoxide and dioxide emissions
Require engine maintenance on a regular basis
|Price Range||$ – $$|
- 140CC OHV GAS POWERED ENGINE: Engine comes equipped with recoil and auto choke. No more fussing with a primer or choke – just pull to start!.Clipping Collection: Rear bag collects grass clippings for easy cleanup or composting.
- 3-IN-1 CAPABILITIES: Unit has side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching capabilities. Ideal for yards 1/8 to 1/4 of an acre
- 21-INCH CUTTING DECK: Efficient cutting deck helps trim grass in one quick pass for an easier yard job.
2. Manual Reel Mowers
Manual Reel Mowers were actually the first lawnmowers that showed up on the market hundreds of years ago.
This model is quite simple and easy to use; its wheels spin sharpened blades or a cylinder as you push it across the grass.
Their entire design is based on a rather small cart that has a longer handle.
Most of these have two primary wheels that go on a single axle.
Additionally, there is either a set of secondary wheels in the rear that are a bit smaller than the primary set or a simple bar of rollers.
Primary wheels are in charge of the motion, while the rear roller/wheels are there for the balance.
You don’t need gas for them which makes them environmentally friendly – plus, they are easy to maintain.
Some mower types like electric or gas-powered ones have evolved over time, but the reel mower has kept its basic design.
|Type||Manual Reel Mower|
Less dangerous than rotary mowers
Produce little noise
Easy to store or transport
|Con||Not very good for cutting taller grass or shredding leaves|
- ECO FRIENDLY CUTTING – this compact reel mower is great for small yards, and townhomes
- 14inch CUTTING WIDTH – provides scissor like cut and precision
- 5-BLADE – ball bearing steel reel is great for cutting all grass types, even St. Augustine, Bermuda, and Zoysia
3. Riding lawn mowers
Riding lawn mowers are something that will make cutting your lawn much easier, especially when you need to cut a bigger lot of land.
They are like cars, so their advantage is you don’t need to put as much physical exertion into getting the job done.
By choosing a high-quality and more expensive model, you’ll get a pretty comfortable seat together with the optional umbrella coverage that will protect you from the sun.
Since these mowers are bigger and more powerful, it will be easier for you to cut grass on rough terrains.
Together with that, they often have specific add-ons that will help you with spreading grass seed, removing dead grass, or even plowing snow.
|Type||Riding Lawn Mower|
|Pro||Cover more land more quickly|
Often include specific add-ons
|Con||Big, expensive, and more complicated than push mowers|
Harder to clean
- Includes: (1) Ryobi 38 inches 100 Ah Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Lawn Mower RY48111
- 3 Brushless motors for superior power and performance
- Up to 2.5 hours of runtime or 2.5 acres of mowing
4. Electric Mowers
There are two variations of electric mowers – cordless and corded.
They are simple to use since you don’t need to change oil or fuel filters.
These mowers are also a good choice when it comes to the environment as well as they come as a much quieter option than classical gas mowers.
Still, as with all other models, not everything is perfect; with cordless lawnmowers, you won’t have that much time to cut your grass since some of them last only up to one hour before they need to be charged again.
On the other hand, if you go with a corded one, you will have limited mobility.
In addition to that, you need to be careful and keep it away from the water.
|Pro||No fuel filters, oil, or sparkplugs to change|
Better for the environment
|Con||Not good with thicker grass|
Both corded and cordless models have limits (mobility, time)
|Price Range||$ – $$|
- Lightweight corded electric mower gasless 10 Amp 15 inch electric mower for powering through rough grass.Ideal for 1/8 acre.Voltage : 120 V. Product Application : Cleaning.
- Comfort grip bike handlebar design reduces friction and enhances maneuverability for small lawns
- Enhanced clipping collection winged blade yields 30% better clipping collection
5. Self-propelled model
The self-propelled model actually does all the hard work itself – considering most of today’s mowers are self-propelled, we can assume cutting your lawn doesn’t have to be that hard after all.
You don’t have to use force to push it – it’s enough to walk behind it.
As a matter of fact, self-propelling motion implies the cut will be smoother and the finish will be more even since there won’t be that much stopping and starting over as well as pulling and pushing your mower.
Since there is a battery, you won’t struggle with a wire being dragged across the garden.
It’s definitely better to use this model for bigger and square-shaped lawns.
Also, it’s good for elderly people since they don’t need to push the mower too hard.
|Pro||Don’t require much physical force |
Suitable for elderly
|Con||Not good for non-square yards because covering corners may require fighting against the drive of this mower’s wheels|
- [GAS-LIKE POWER] Worx NITRO outdoor tools are engineered to provide gas-like power, performance, and run time
- [BRUSHLESS MOTOR & HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERIES] Brushless motor and Power Share PRO high-capacity batteries deliver power, performance, and run time
- [RUN LONGER WITH HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERIES] Worx Power Share PRO intelligent batteries deliver extended run times, plus heat and impact protection. Compatible with all Worx 20V, 40V and 80V tools, outdoor power and lifestyle products
6. Zero-turn Lawnmowers
Zero-turn lawnmowers are true timesavers, especially if you have a big lawn that takes forever to mow.
Unlike the tractor mower, with this one, you won’t miss important sections under the trees or close to other obstacles.
With the zero-turn model, you will be able to penetrate all those hidden corners of your yard.
To be precise, we are talking about a riding mower whose turning radius is effectively zero – with plenty of different types and various hydraulic speed control.
|Pro||Versatile, comfortable, and easy to use|
Shorten mowing time
Provide more maneuverability
Difficult to go uphill and mow when the terrain is wet
- 26 HP Kohler engine provides reliable startups and a max speed of 6.5 MPH
- A patent-pending park brake system automatically activates or deactivates as the steering levers are moved outward or inward
- Air induction mowing technology draws air from the top and bottom of the deck, improving grass and delivering a superior cut
7. Brush Cutters
Brush cutters are quite similar to line trimmers.
One of the differences is that the trimmer actually has a kind of thin nylon that cuts long grass, while the brush cutter comes with a metal blade that can even carve tree trunks up to whole 4 inches making them much more effective.
Not only do these cutters have more power, but they also come as a quite versatile tool in the yard.
Another important thing is, even though they are not difficult to use, you need to be familiar with the cutting techniques to prevent damaging your machine and to avoid potential injuries.
While doing the work, you need to move right to left because of the blades – they move counterclockwise so you can’t do the cutting from an undecided direction.
|Con||Risky to use if you are not familiar with cutting techniques|
- 【42.7CC Powerful Engine】 ➤ The powerful 42.7cc 2-cycle engine provides greater power and less vibration, offers a consistent performance. The max engine speed can be up to 7300r/min, allowing you to do heavy duty jobs and finish the job more efficiently and quickly.
- 【2-in-1 Multi-use Head】➤Convert to 2 different tools: a dual line head, a 3T blade. It only takes a few seconds to convert, which means you can use it quickly and easily trim around flowerbeds, sidewalks, foundations. It is an efficient and reliable weed wacker for lawn care
- 【User-friendly Design】 ➤ Ergonomic adjustable U-handle with slip-free design and shoulder strap make the machine balanced, maneuverable and easy to control. Quick release split shaft for easy transportation and storage. Straight shaft design makes it easier to reach around shrubs and vegetation, no need to bend over. Quick-change head allows you to convert from 3T blade to line trimmer head in seconds.
Some final words
Each yard requires a different type of care as well as a specific lawnmowing model.
You need to know the various options so you can choose what will suit you best.
If you have any more lawnmowing-related questions, don’t hesitate to ask – we are glad to help you with getting the right model that will make the most out of your lawn!